4/21/09

Wear Sunscreen.

Wear Sunscreen.



I have been reckless with my skin over the years. I tan easily. I love to have a suntan & I love to avoid sunscreen. Any chance I have, I love to lay in the sun & bake away my sins. I believe that sun therapy is worth a million dollars. Yet as I grow older I am becoming more & more concerned for my skin. That I need to start using sunscreen to be a good role model for my daughter & to live a long healthy life.

I have had my eyes opened to alternative tanning methods. I love spray tans. I really do. You get a sun kissed glow avoiding any risks of skin cancer. I have also been on a hunt for a ‘do it yourself’ self tanner. Any suggestions?

As summer is around the corner I wanted to post a few suggestions to keeping your family healthy while playing in the sun, especially if you are lake rats like we are, sunscreen is a must!

The American Cancer Society uses the "Slip! Slop! Slap! . . . and Wrap" catch phrase to remind you of the four key ways you can protect yourself from UV light: slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, slap on a hat, and wrap on sunglasses to protect the eyes and the skin around them. Be sure to be especially vigilant with protecting children from the sun, since as few as five sunburns can increase their chances of developing skin cancer later in life.

Be safe this summer & enjoy your time outdoors!

4 comments:

Jamie Stavenger said...

I can't tan. That was God's irony at work as he grew me up in California... ;)

Shannon said...

Yes and here's some further motivating advice from an oldster. ;) I can't tan either, and so have always been pretty strict about the sunscreen, but now that I'm 38 (!) the "sunspots" are starting to pop up on my previously flawless (!) face. All those years of near-daily afternoon runs in my twenties have given me permanent proof that even pale-Norwegian I got a lot of sun when I was younger and not so good about using facial sunscreen CONSTANTLY. Believe me, now I'm furious that I've got little red spots here and there on my cheeks, and a nice big brown mark on my cheekbone (which my girls like to tell me "looks like a pancake."!!! THANKS!)

So yes: wear sunscreen, and when you're almost 40, you will be so, so glad you did. :)

Trish said...

Corey is a total sunscreen freak...growning up a lake girl & mexican vacation sort of girl my 'old' moto used to be...the more oil the better, right?

Thanks to my dear hubby I now wear 15...yes 15 and suprise suprise you can still get a little tan even with 15 on! And I would love to save my wrinkles for a later day.

My new fav is Aveeno, no stinging and smells pretty yummy.

latisha said...

well...we lather up as much as we can but its standard issue to get skin checks once a year for desert rats. we lather up with 30 and sevi already has diaper butt tan lines. im hoping she got enough of that mexican blood to help her out for a while, but really whats a desert girl to do...

Counter

hit counters

Merry Christmas 2010

Most Wonderful Story Christmas 5x7 folded card
Create beautiful photo Christmas cards at Shutterfly.com.
View the entire collection of cards.

Olivia's 3 Month Pictures

Olivia's 3 Month Pictures
A glimpse at our super cute, super expensive professional pictures

Olivia's Diddy

Sorry I don't know how to flip the image!

Olivia's First TuTu

Olivia's First TuTu