
This year I decided to keep myself busy & stay active I set my goals to run x1 5K per month, Starting with the Fargo Marathon 5K Fun Run, through October 2009...I have found my venues (running 2 in June due to the lack of July runs)...and started my training about 2 months ago
I have been LOVING IT. I have until this year despised running my entire life. But the calm it gives me now (maybe due to motherhood, or a screaming baby at home) has been invigorating. I crank my high volume IPod & hit the treadmill or pavement. I have only been running about 2.5 miles 3x week. But hey, that's better than nothing, right?
So I set my goals LOW, I wanted to run in the Fargo Marathon 5K Fun Run in at LEAST 45 minutes. About a 15 min mile, start off the season with a goal to 'run faster' at each event.
Well here's where the plot thickens. A few weeks prior to the run last Saturday I started doing some training outside. I ran my first 3.2 distance thanks to the map my run tool, and came home with a sore knee. So I threw some ice on it, stretched 'er out good, got some new shoes at the Dick Beardsley Store and kept up with my training.
I am so excited to say I ran the Fargo 5K in 34.04 minutes!
I am sad to say I haven't been able to walk right since. I didn't even have a hard time at the run is the frustrating part. I wasn't out of breath, I didn't have side cramps, my knees felt great....
It turns out I bruised the area between these two bones, possibly a 'stress fracture' on my left knee (to be re-checked next week). That's how 'hard core' I am. The doc said this sort of 'sports injury' (laughable that I have done anything qualifiable to a 'sports injury) is mostly seen in skiers. I would love to say I jumped off an awesome mountain ski jump, jarred my bones and had an awesome skiing injury...but no, I just ran 3 miles (3.2 actually) and look like an idiot walking!
But I am still proud of myself...and plan on keeping up with my running...just not for a few more weeks (hopefully only a few more weeks!)

My certificate of 'proof'! LOL


3 comments:
Yay for you! Running is definitely an escape from the stresses of motherhood! Sometimes I have a hard time mustering the energy after a full day of caregiving, but I always feel better after I go. Although I am getting old and have myriad aches and pains now after running that I never had before! ;) Hope your injury heals fast and what an awesome idea, doing the 5Ks every months! You go!!!
Oh I have just been loving it! I am so grouchy that my knees are hating it. I honestly can barely walk!!! Errrr!!! But thanks, I am taking it VERY easy this week in hopes to heal it ultra fast to get back on the 'run'!
oh my! good for you.i am so impressed. 10 min miles you go chica!
Post a Comment